Saturday 9 March 2013

The Indieannas - moneyman single and Video Review

The Indieannas – Moneyman Single and Video Review

During my first listen to this latest song from Buxton band The Indieannas, I was immediately reminded of another band. It took me a while to figure out whom, exactly, but it demonstrated this song's greatest strength and also its biggest weakness.

For a band that's still fairly new to the scene, this latest offering is decent - hardly anything special, but still an enjoyable listen. The introduction reminded me of Arctic Monkeys, whilst the vocals definitely reminded me of bands such as Kasabian. Not a bad thing, but it goes to show the slight lack of originality. I was left thinking of these other bands instead of The Indieannas.

The music itself is solid enough, catchy after a few listens, but not to the point where it becomes grating or irritating. The lyrics and chorus are definitely good enough to stand with other current bands dominating the genre.

It's just a shame that, despite these good points, the song seems to lack a punch. It doesn't stick with you after the song has finished and I didn't find myself wanting to repeat the song like I do with other bands. It was like a takeaway - enjoyable at the time but not so much that you'd find yourself desperate for more.

As for the video, I was slightly disappointed with it. A lot of bands currently seem to be following a trend slating bankers and the government. Don't get me wrong, I know there are issues, but we don't need to be reminded of it with every video we see! Intertwined with that are shots of the band playing their song (very similar to many other videos from fairly new bands). These shots show the band to be lively and, most likely, a decent enough band to see live.


Verdict:  

Video: Fairly uninspiring stuff about our country’s issues and the usual live footage. However, it is sort of saved by some good shots.

R R r  (EDIT: 2 ½ R's)

Single: The easiest way to sum this up would be to class it as “iPod fodder” – easy to listen to and, if someone would find it, you wouldn't be embarrassed by it but not original enough. It doesn't leave enough for you to actively search for it.

R R R  

No comments:

Post a Comment